Monday, August 25, 2008

What is My Brand?

The inspiration...

As I sipped my coffee this morning, I pondered, just what is my style? Because to be in business, any artist must have one, a brand. Just this past week, I had been busy creating patterns for a large retail buyer (see sampling below). This time, I found myself inspired by the work of Amy Butler and her Midwest Modern book. It was given to me as a thank you from my sister, after throwing her a surprise baby shower. If anything, the thanks goes to her for sending it to me! I can closely identify with Butler's aesthetic. Even though I was born and raised on the east coast, I spent many summers in Chicago and its suburbs as a child and young teenager.

...and what it inspired

So I'm constantly working out a "style" or 'brand" whether it be in my book illustration or fashion and textile work. But when I'm inspired, as with Ms. Butler's work, I'm lead through so many wonderful twists and turns that I never really come to any sort of conclusion or definition of just what my style is or should be. At least I can say I've made one definitive decision: to keep creating.

No comments:

 

blogger templates